Legislation & tips

The EU legislation in 10 minutes

In this 10-minute video, our instructor Laurent explains the general structure of the European legislation, the possibilities, and the conditions you must meet as a drone pilot.

A must-see for every beginning and advanced drone pilot! But of course, there is so much more than this. We cover it all in our course ‘EU legislation’.

Also on this page:

EU legislation in a chart


Mainly a hobby but commercial is also possible if restrictions are respected. General rule: the heavier the drone, the further away from people.

No permission is needed, but rules must be respected:

  • Only in airspace that allows it (see geographical zones)
  • Registration as operator and pilot certificate
  • Maximum 120m, VLOS (Visual Line of Sight)
  • Never over groups of people

3 subcategories

A device with ‘Cx’ certification (= safety systems present: remote ID, geo-awareness), indicated below by C0, C1, C2, C3, C4

Open A1: minimum age: 14

  • C0 (MTOM <250 g)
    • May fly above uninvolved people
    • If no camera, no registration is required
  • C1 (MTOM < 900 g)
    • May not fly over uninvolved people (5m in slow mode)

NEEDED: theoretical training + theoretical exam (necessary with a C1 aircraft, recommended with a C0 aircraft)

Open A2: minimum age: 16

  • C2 (MTOM< 4 kg)
    • Min 30m from non-involved people (5m in slow-mode)

NEEDED: theoretical training + theoretical exam + proof of practical training

Open A3: minimum age: 14

  • C3 – C4 (MTOM< 25 kg)
    • In an area where no uninvolved people will come
    • Min 30m from non-involved people
    • 150m from houses, parks, beaches, industries, …

NEEDED: theoretical training + theoretical exam

Limited Open (without Cx certification)

  • Drone MTOM < 250 g: same rules as Open A1 with a C0 device
  • Drone MTOM > 250 g and < 25 kg: same rules as Open A3


When? If the limitation of Open cannot be respected.

Because of the high risk, there is an obligation to prove through a risk assessment that it is safe to fly:

Specific Operation Risk Assessment (SORA)

  • By authorities (Pre-Defined Risk Assessment or Standard Scenario)
  • By operation (Permission application via SORA)


More information upon request

Drone administration

The DGLV is part of the FPS Mobility and Transport and is responsible for the regulation and certification of civil aviation in Belgium.

The Government of the Netherlands and ILT are the aviation authorities in the Netherlands. RDW is the organization that deals with the registration of drones in the Netherlands.

EASA: European Union Aviation Safety Agency is responsible for all flying objects within the European Union, including UAS (Unmanned Aircraft System) legislation (= 1 legislation for all countries).

Belgian authorities

Government of the Netherlands (Rijksoverheid)
Dutch authorities

10 tips

  1. Always check the weather conditions and know the limits of your device
  2. Always check your battery and the balance of the cells
  3. Always check your device and its propellers
  4. Read the flight manual of your drone
  5. Always work with a checklist
  6. Always keep track of your flights in a logbook
  7. Always check the location where you are going to fly: are there any geo-zones, can I fly there?
  8. Check the KP index to avoid magnetic interference
  9. Think about privacy: can I film here?
  10. Emergency procedures: know what to do if things go wrong!

Gratis ONLINE drone infoavond

06/08/2024 van 19u30 tot 20u30

Interesse? Nog geen cursist?

  • Wat doen met een drone
  • Waar vliegen
  • Risico’s
  • Soorten opleidingen
  • Vragen over EU wetgeving

Meer info